A Magical Valley In Uttarakhand: Har Ki Doon!!
In the scenic state of Uttarakhand, there are a lot of trekking destinations that offer great vistas of nature. Har ki Doon is one of them. A beautiful cradled-shaped hanging valley which offers great views of Himalayan Peaks. The valley is nestled in the hearts of Govind Ballabh Pant National Park.
It is also called “the valley of Gods”. According to the Hindu Vedas, Har ki Doon lies in the valley of Swargarohini Peak from which Pandavas went to heaven. The characters of Mahabharata have a great influence on the villages and locals living here.
Har ki Doon trek is a famous trek among trekkers and travelers. The valley is a hidden gem in the Garhwal Himalayas. The landscapes on the canvas of nature are astounding and amazing. Har ki Doon is all surrounded by snow-covered peaks and alpine vegetation. It is accessible in both the summer and winter seasons.
The beautiful trek is of 47km and can be covered in 8 days. The trek starts from Sankri Village, a small village near Dehradun. It also serves as a basecamp to many other treks like Kedarkantha.
The trek will pass through so many villages like Osla, Seema, and Taluka. The trek will take you through the lush green meadows, tranquil lakes, gushing rivers, a rich variety of flora & fauna, dense groves of chestnut, deodar, and sycamore along with a backdrop of snow-capped mountains. Har ki Doon is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
Villages which comes during the trek:
- Sankri: A small beautiful village in the Garhwal Himalayas range. From Dehradun, a drive to Sankri will be a memorable journey through the mighty mountains, Himalayan ghats, picturesque view of valleys, and incredible beauty of nature. The village offers great views of sunset and sunrise. The village is surrounded by pine forests and snow-capped mountains.
- Taluka: Another serene hamlet in the Garhwal Himalayas. It is located at a distance of 12km from Sankri. You can reach Taluka through a drive or by doing a scenic trek. A cluster of beautiful wooden houses will grab your attention and the views of the magical Himalayas with a rich variety of flora and fauna.
- Osla: This beautiful small hamlet is located 26km from Taluka. Osla is located on a sloping mountain surrounded by apple trees. The village is untouched by civilization and people are self-sufficient here. The village is faithful to Duryodhana (Kauravas). The village has a small temple that holds a mystery whether it is dedicated to Lord Shiva or Duryodhana (Mahabharat).
Har ki Doon offers spectacular views of the mighty Himalayan Peaks like Swargarohini I, II, & III, Bandarpooch, and the Black Peak. The landscapes you see from the valley are totally astounding and breathtaking. Har ki Doon is a great adventure to explore the serene beauty of nature.
How to reach?
First, you have to reach the capital city Dehradun. The city is well connected to all the major cities like Delhi, Chandigarh, Lucknow, and Kolkata.
- By Air: Take a direct flight from Delhi to the Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun. You will see a lot of taxis and buses that are willing to take you to the village Sankri.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is in Dehradun. You can take a cab or local bus to reach Sankri.
- By Road: An overnight bus journey from Delhi to Dehradun will be great. Then take a bus to Sankri and enjoy the scenic vistas of valleys & mighty mountains.
Best Season to visit
Har ki Doon is accessible in both winter and summer months. But the valley looks more beautiful in winter as it gets covered with pristine white snow. Trekkers mostly choose winters to experience and explore the beauty.
In summers, the weather remains pleasant and calm. The temperature becomes hotter but not harsh. In springtime, the valley blooms and you will see colors of nature.
Activities to do in Har ki Doon:
- Trekking: A popular activity to do in the valley is toh enhance your Trekking experience.
- Camping: What is more beautiful than staying in tents under the clear blue skies and star-glanced nights. Camping near the rivers, between the woods, and in vast pastures will give you a lifetime experience.
- Bird Watching: As the valley is nestled in the Govind Ballabh Pant National Park. You will see a lot of Himalayan animals like Wild boars, musk deers, Black bears, snow leopards, etc. and Himalayan birds like Monal, rosefinch, bearded vulture, etc. Medicinal plants are also found in the valley.
- Exploration: Har ki Doon trek offers a great opportunity to explore the small villages which come during the trek. Explore the pahadi lifestyle by staying with the villagers or by taking a walk into the village. Talk or interact with the locals and get to know about the history. Sightseeing, mountain hiking are some activities you can do in the villages.
Har ki Doon is must-do adventure. Experience the best of nature. Get ready to capture the beauty in your camera and collect the most beautiful memories for a lifetime.
Live. Travel. Explore!!